Monday 25 June 2007

Back on track

I'm struggling a bit at the moment. I either seem to be avoiding eating because I don't fancy eating or snacking when I'm not really hungry. It's silly as I'd sort of got to a point where it was all coming together.I've tried snacking on fruit rather than the chocolate box at work (which is my main downfall at the moment) and it's working a bit.Anyway, I think I need to get back on track.

I'm going on holiday to France next week and am going to work really hard at eating intuitively as I'll have the time to choose when and what i want to eat. In the meantime I'm going to re-read Beyond Chocolate and re-invigorate my interest.

I think I'm struggling because there are different expectations when you're pregnant- when else can you legitimately be putting on 1lb a week and be being healthy? Or know that you will have a big belly and this is a cause for celebration not embarrassment.

I don't like healthcare professionals asking my weight or having to think about it and find it a little off-putting. It's odd knowing that I can (sort of) eat ice cream to get more calcium and feel less guilty about the fat in it. And I've had to give up any ideas of losing weight or 'controlling' it as this might hurt the baby.

To some extent you just HAVE to accept your body and how it's growing.I'm glad I'd done the work on accepting my body (or at least no longer hating it). It would be even harder if I was at war with it. But I'm not 100% comfortable with all the changes, it's a bit like going through puberty again, with bits growing and new sensations and you don't know quite what will happen next!

Anyway I'll post how I get on and get back on track

1 comment:

nofoodisforbidden said...

It is hard when you are pregnant. Your body is doing all sorts of wierd things, and sometimes you don't feel too good. Then you don't have the confines of 'normal' clothes, and everyone at clinics etc seems to be obsessed by what you weigh. So its very difficult. MAybe you can relax about it more on holiday! HAve fun, and keep well!