Wednesday 9 January 2008

on my own

I'm still struggling on with breastfeeding. I've tried the La Leche league (got advice but no visit), the Association of Breastfeeding mum (ditto) and NCT - have a number but no one's there, and Breast buddies - left a message but no response. It's rather frustrating that there's all this theoretical help but not so much in practice.

However, I've had a minor breakthrough today. I tried a different sort of nipple shield and she latched on and ate. Prior to that, she'd latched on without it and had a little bit so she does still know what to do. I think I'm just going to have to be patient.

More positively, I weighed myself out of curiosity this morning and have lost a stone and a half in the last 4 weeks without trying to at all. I'm going to have to watch that I'm eating properly as I'm aware that Rosie is so demanding that I miss breakfast and am probably eating less that I ought to since I'm still expressing/theoretically breastfeeding.

Also, I've managed to get out of the house twice! Once on monday to the surestart centre where I went to a breastfeeding clinic which was helpful (i realised I've been forcing Rosie's head towards me which she doesn't like) and her baby weighing clinic - she's now back to her birth weight which is great news.

Today I made it into town where she was admired by everyone who saw her for her tinyness. We went to Costa Coffee where she got cuddles from a little group of ladies, whilst I drank a hot chocolate and then had her bottle fed to her by one of them who has had 6 children of her own! It was great to get out of the house and I'm feeling more confident about being on my own.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, go you! You sound like you are doing brilliantly. :-)

nofoodisforbidden said...

I really admire you for persevering. I had problems feeding my daughter, and a friend who was a breastfeeding councillor from NCT came and helped me and we cracked it together. It was the nipple shield that did it for me too. It will be confusing for Rosie going between the breast and the bottle, so the nipple shield may seem more like the bottle to her I suppose.

Well done for getting out, but make sure you continue to look after yourself!