Wednesday 2 January 2008

Emotional rollercoaster

Well, Rosie is now 3 weeks old. It's been a real emotional rollercoaster and I haven't been online for ages.

I thought the feeding was all going okay so got a bit of a horrible shock whenRosie got admitted to hospital last Friday because she'd lost more than 10% of her bodyweight - she went from 6lbs 15oz to 6lbs 6oz and then down to 6lbs 2oz. We got told we needed to supplement her feeding with formula and expressed milk using a bottle.

She's now back up to 6lbs 9oz but for the last few feeds has been refusing to breastfeed and screaming hysterically. I'm sure the fact that she has a cold isn't helping but we think she may also have nipple confusion as she's been getting food the easy way via a bottle as well as from me.

It's all getting very stressful, I'm trying not to take it personally but it's hard not to. I'm trying to keep having snuggly time with her as well as fighting to get her to eat. I never realised it would be so hard and am quite down about it all but haven't (quite) given in yet.

2 comments:

Alice said...

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time, I really hope things get better soon. I'm sure they will.

A
x

Anonymous said...

Hi from Canada,
I found you via Beyond Chocolate. Love your blog and your honesty. As with all things in life, try not to get down on yourself for the breast-feeding thing.
Babies do have a survival chip! IF you end up bottle feeding, don't stress it - many children around the world have done fine with bottle feeding - including my son (now almost 7).
He was adopted from Vietnam and has grown healthy and strong with bottle feeding.
Do try and enjoy this precious moments - tough as they are - they will go by quickly and in short order, you will have a wonderful toddler!
Best wishes!