Sunday 21 January 2007

Last year I realised I needed to do something about my weight that went beyond endless cycles of weight watchers, slimming world etc.

I began by reading Paul McKenna's I can make you thin book, which was interesting but I was a bit umimpressed by the waving hands part.

Next I read a book called The Non-diet Diet, which had no eating plans or information about food on it but instead looked at doing things differently within your life which the doctor who wrote the book said would change your weight. I didn't really lose any weight with this approach, but realised that I needed to work on some aspects of my life.

I came across an excellent website called www.normaleating.com which approached my weight issue in a totally different way. Sheryl, the site owner believes that weight problems happen when people avoid the other problems in their life. They're the physical manifestation of things that you've avoided thinking about.

Her approach uncovers why you are overeating and helps you move forward so that eating becomes less of a focus. This is an intuitive eating approach, based upon Geneen Roth's work and to a certain extent Overcoming Overeating by Jane Hirschmann and Carol Hunter.

I also came across an excellent book by Sophie and Audrey Boss called Beyond Chocolate which uses this approach too and have started working through their emedia course.

So far, I've not lost any weight but I have become happier in myself which is a start.

1 comment:

Stephbospoon said...

Hello Alison! great to hear that we are getting a little community going- maybe we could start recruiting people to the cause! Good lucka nd I'll keep reading,
Bxxx