Monday 3 December 2007

Some thoughts on food

I've been reading through 'The Diet Survivor's Handbook' which has some good little gems of wisdom. I've realised that I may have been overeating chocolate at work because I didn't have any at home. It's one to realise for the future I think as I'm not that bothered about eating it at the moment.

Also, I listened to the guru club teleconference on pleasure and enjoyment on Friday which really made me think about the guilt I sometimes have around food and the choices I make. When I went to SW and could get it to work for me (which it hasn't for ages), the bit that really helped was the idea of making positive choices rather than restricting myself. They called this choicepower.

Sophie was talking about this in the teleconference and I was sitting there nodding to myself. She was saying that making healthy food choices is about taking care of yourself but only when it's actually a choice and not a restriction. It's really hard to differentiate between these two I think, but changes whether the food we're eating is a positive decision or a negative one.

On the other hand we do it all the time. For example, at the moment I am choosing not to eat blue cheese because of my pregnancy. It is slightly a restriction, but I don't feel resentful about it, it's okay because I want to have a healthy baby.

The other thoughts I had were to do with legalising 'healthy' foods. It seems silly, but I know that I can sometimes avoid yoghurts and fruit even although I like them because I don't like feeling that I should be eating them.

No comments: