Thursday 19 April 2007

Liquorice induces labour?

First of all, thanks for all your kind comments. I'll let you know how I get on! I'm very excited but a bit scared too.

Secondly - oh, no, according to BBC news, liquorice is bad for pregnant ladies. Will I have to change my name to 'No Liquorice Torpedoes?'

Liquorice eaters have babies earlier
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1378652.stm

Pregnant women who eat large amounts of liquorice could be at greater risk of having their babies prematurely, warn scientists.
Finnish researchers found that women who ate at least 2.5 packets of black liquorice sweets, containing 100 grams each, per week were twice as likely to deliver before 38 weeks.
They found the liquorice eaters were likely to deliver about 2.5 days earlier than those who ate little or none of the sweets. "

6 comments:

josiemay said...

What a shame - I know you love your liquorice - I'm sure you can still eat it though, just don't over do it. I'm sure the thought of a baby is much more exciting than the thought of liquorice though - aww I love babies xx

Liquorice Torpedoes said...

It is. I'll just have to weigh my big bags of LT to check! Actually since I've been able to eat them whenever I want I've stopped eating so many, so I'm sure I'll be alright ;)

lisa jane said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grace said...

Congradulations! I have never heard about this liquorice thing before. How weird.

Alice said...

A whole 2 and a half days earlier?! By week 40 you might be eating liquorice like there's no tomorrow :P


A
xx

Anonymous said...

OMG that is totally bizarre...also the fact that they did a study on licorice eating pregnant women...it must be a very common thing.

I love licorice too though.