Thursday 22 March 2007

Meditation class and Buddha

Well, it wasn't for me I don't think. I was joining half way through a course and although it said that newcomers were welcome this made it a bit tough.

I've never meditated before and had no idea what to expect. It was more like going to church, with a table at the front with glass bowls, a picture of Buddha and the monk sitting at the front facing us. I should also add that I have no knowledge about Buddhism except that they don't eat meat and meditate and are peaceful.

He started off by talking about change and permanence and how nothing ever stays the same, we are different even from ourselves between the morning and afternoon. He used a river as an example. Then he explained that this meant that anything someone had said or done to us was also not permanent.

He then explained that all problems are external and can be dealt with by going internally into our minds. All problems are caused by 'delusions' e.g. someone speaks negatively to you and you respond with anger. Anger is a delusion. You can stop being angry by meditating.

He said there are three 'jewels' to achieving inner peace - Dharma, which are the tools you learn to meditate on positive emotions e.g. love, peace, patience; 'junga' which is the community who support you on your path and 'Buddha' who is a teacher and a guide or role model.

(BTW, sorry if I've misspelled anything or misunderstood any of what he said, as I explained this is my first experience of Buddhism and I respect the rights of others to believe in whatever they want).

I asked what about when it's something you can't change easily. He said that then you have to accept that this is the case and lose the frustration.

What really interested me is that instead of looking externally to achieve peace he was saying to look internally. This is different from western society where we take a pill for a headache, eat to avoid bad thoughts, pray to God (an external force). Instead, you need to achieve peace by changing the way you think about others and react to them.

We did meditate, which I struggled with, sitting quietly for 20 mins was difficult. I think I'll get a tape to listen to, I was interested in what he said and a lot of it made sense, but I've been brought up Catholic and I'm not searching for another religion.

I'm also going to get some books and try to learn more about Buddhism which is fascinating and seems to really tie in with Psychology and intutive eating.

SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT TODAY: Making my own bread and stew for the weekend, trying on my new clothes which arrived and fit
GOAL TOMORROW: Move! Help DH to set up the Viking enclosure!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That all sounds really interesting. I've been thinking a lot lately about the way I react to people and things I can't change. Sounds like meditation would be a good way to work through those things. :o)

Thanks for your advice about the Beyond Chocolate course, too :o) I think I might wait and see if they bring the workshops to Australia first! :o)

Hope you're having a great day :o)

xoxo

Liquorice Torpedoes said...

Hi Brooke, apparently they are bringing them to Australia (someone else told me this). Why don't you email them and ask? I'm sure it'll be more likely to happen if they do get a level of interest.

wife2abadge said...

There is a good meditation CD series called Indigo Dreams that is really nice. I got one at Amazon.com and it usually relaxes me so much that I fall asleep.

Anonymous said...

I have always been fascinated by buddhism.

Anonymous said...

My husband is really into Buddhism and Zen. He keeps talking to me about the "ego" and how it is bad (ie angry, jealousy, envy, etc). It seems all so esoteric to me but I'm probably missing something. I'm just curious - what prompted you to go to a meditation/buddhism class & how did you find it? I'm in the US but there is nothing around here like that (that I know of at least). "Religious-conservative" (ie right wing) is very popular here where I am. I started meditating a few months ago (breathing meditation) - its difficult but I can definitely see the benefit in it.

nofoodisforbidden said...

Phew, that sounded a bit heavy (man!) Well done you for trying it! Thanks for linking my blog btw!